Job Title : Junior Scientist - Engineering Geologist x 3
Location : Pretoria, Head Office
Reporting Line : Manager, Engineering & Geohazards
Overall Job Purpose : To undertake investigations in a wide variety of geoscientific fields under the guidance of a Senior Scientist.
- Conducts investigations or research that may involve geotechnical laboratory work and geotechnical mapping, gathering of data, compilation of maps and reports under the guidance of a senior/chief scientist..
- Conducts moderately simple geo-scientific investigations or research under guidance and supervision.
- Gives formal scientific or technical presentations of papers or reports, internally to other staff members and externally with guidance at conferences or symposia.
- Gives scientific advice to the public and private sector organisations within established guidelines and supervision.
- Participates in statutory and occasionally commercial projects and publishes research findings internally and or externally.
- Ensures that work is conducted within the required ISO standards.
Key Personal Attributes:
- Good communication skills, both towards seniors and to juniors.
- Good report writing skills, both scientific and administrative.
- Able to operate independently, when required.
- Be a good team player and to share experience, knowledge and work load.
- Passionate about engineering geology and/or seismology.
- Ability to present scientific papers to members of staff or externally.
Qualifications and Experience:
- BSc Honours (Engineering Geology/ Geology)
- Being able to work as a candidate scientist towards a SACNASP registration as Prof. registered Scientist.
- Being able to work as a candidate scientist towards an SAIEG registration.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must be Computer literate.
The Council for Geoscience is committed to Employment Equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity prescripts, preference will be given but not limited to candidates from under represented designated groups. Females and people from previously disadvantaged groups and sectors are encouraged to apply.
Note: Correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates and late applications will not be considered.
Closing Date: 29 June, 2018