The programme will provide the information necessary for the DMR
The programme will provide the information necessary for the DMR to fulfil its mandate and, specifically dealing with:
- Information required for mine rehabilitation, in cooperation with the DMR and the CGS activities around derelict and ownerless mines;
- Improved mine water management;
- Improving our understanding of the impacts of mining on the environment;
- Support for DMR (Mining Environmental Research and Sustainable Development);
- Development of a mine Water database;
- Mine residue pollution solutions;
- Assessment of potential water and other environment-related constraints on mineral development.
Moreover, where rehabilitation or remedial activities are undertaken, job creation at local level will be prioritized and labour-intensive approaches will be favored as far as possible.